Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

 

 

 

 

Edmondstown National School History

 

There is a long history of education in the Edmondstown area. A hedge school operated in the locality in the early 1800’s while the first official National School was set up in the 1860’s. This actually consisted of separate boys and girls schools with two separate principals.

The school was situated about 100-150 yards to the north of the present site but that building was knocked down when the new bridge for the Southern Cross Motorway was being built.

The current school building was officially opened in 1954 and has grown from being originally a two-teacher school to its current size of four mainstream classrooms.

 

In 2004, the school celebrated its 50th anniversary. The special occasion was marked by a visit to the school by President of Ireland, Mary McAleese. The visit remains a huge source of pride to the entire Edmondstown area. Since then, the school has grown from strength to strength, whilst maintaining the long tradition of community involvement first established over 150 years ago.

 

Edmondstown National School 50 Years Anniversary